Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A long break

I cannot believe it has been over six weeks since my last entry.

I must be forgiven. Excuses for not writing always abound. But we'll stop for none of that now, only fill-ins of important facts and data and brain tumor happenings from here out.

My last meeting with Dr. Vitaz, my neurosurgeon here in Louisville, well back at end of May, established that it was, unfortunately, inevitable that the tumor come up and out. What was left to be figured was where and how this would happen. There are two approaches, he told me--above the cerebellum, the lower path, or trans-ocular, the high road. Trans-ocular, as you will readily guess, means he must go through the area in the back of the head which deals with vision. Obviously, this is not ideal, so Dr. Vitaz said he would opt for the Cerebellum route. Cerebellum, mostly dealing with balance and coordination, a much less delicate area than vision. I naturally agreed with this logic. As to where: He understood I had family in New York, and so he gave me the names of doctors there, at Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital, in case I wanted to be near my family. However, he felt completely confident in his ability to perform the surgery. One of the doctors he recommended in NY, should I go that route, normally does pediatric surgeries--my pineal gland tumor is often found in children. (It has even been theorized that my tumor *may* have been growing since I was a boy. Alas, no way to know--no telltale rings.)

And so, after a few weeks of being horribly anxious and fearful and medicating that anxiety and fear with a steady stream, few at-a-time-pills (pain-killing, anxiety-killing, supposedly), Trudi made some phone calls for me (I found myself helplessly, and understandably, unable to deal with any of the pragmatic issues regrading this next surgery) and soon I had an appointment in NYC, at Sloan Kettering, with a Dr. Phil Gutin. We drove up to New York, fourteen hours of dogs sleeping in laps, CDs on repeat, and just that fast we were in the mid-July of NYC. This was no pleasure trip, though, and for my part, not too many social calls. Mostly just the business of the brain, and the doctor.

I liked him. He certainly looked me in the eyes, the ability to do which is a definite asset in a brain surgeon, I've learned, and he even went out of his way to touch my shoulder a few times. My father came and sat in as well, tried to follow along. Trudi came with an arsenal of good questions. I was flanked on either side by support.

What he said was that he would not go the Cerebllum route--that he would, instead, go trans-ocular. This was a surprise. He didn't want to go into details just yet, he said. He wanted to go over it fully with the other doctors. He explained that he and a Dr Soweidane would perform the surgery in tandem. Two for the price of one. I wasn't sure how to feel about this, but it was interesting, at least. He had to speak to Dr. Soweidane and the rest of the board, and then he would get back to me within a few days.

When Dr. Gutin called back the next day, my father and I were browsing around Barnes and Nobles (which my father sometimes calls, to my amused horror, 'the library' "Hey frank, drive me down to the library," he'd said, and for a moment, I thought I'd been teleported straight into some other family). I ran out into the heat and midday bright sunlight of Union Turnpike, plugging a finger into my open ear, trying to block all that Queens nonsense of buses and kids and noise. I was desperate to know something, but what I wasn't sure. I wanted to hear something that would tell me where to have this surgery, one way or the other.

Gutin told me, as he had before, that trans-ocular was the way to go. He gave me three reasons: one, my shoulders were pretty big. Funny. But they'd get in the way if they were doing the cerebellum. Second reason had to do with the angle of my head. It made the supra cerebellum path a bit tighter then was ideal. Finally, he said, Dr. Soweidane felt that the place the tumor was most likely attached would be very difficult to get at from the cerebellum route. And then Gutin said--knowing that I was contemplating surgery in Louisville and that my surgeon here was going to go through the cerebellum--he said, in quite a clear way, that they did NOT feel this was a matter of debate, nor preference. To them, this was the only correct medical option, despite the inherent risks of trans-ocular. My particular case, they felt, was safer this way. Gutin was telling me, in a most professional manner, that my other doctor's opinion was not the correct one.

Vitaz trained in Sloan Kettering. While very good, he did not, to my feeling, have the same level of expertise as the doctors at Sloan Kettering. The level of detail that was presented to me over the phone told me that much at least. It felt as though I had little to debate at this point. I trusted Gutin, and though I'm afraid of anyone touching anything that has to do with my vision, I believe this to be the safest option.

Surgery was scheduled for September 9th, which was the earliest both doctors are available.

Now the only little thing to deal with is the insurance. Which is a whole other story.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad that you're writing here again. You and Trudi are in my thoughts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the advice to get a second opinion is valid. To get two opposite opinions about where to operate is pretty incredible and a little scary, particularly since Dr. Vitaz trained at SK.
    I'm glad that you have confidence in the new surgeons and that the surgery will happen soon. Keep us all posted. Love to all, Melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel certain there will be more than 2 surgeons at MSKCC. I had a bilobal tumor attached to my carotid artery, ALL my cranial nerves (optic included) and the base of my brain. My chances of survival were less than fifty-fifty, but I had great faith in my surgeon...Dr. Kraus. And, seriously, no other option. The operation, took 8 surgeons, 8 hours to complete. The results - I am writing this 18 years later. There was some permanent paralysis on the right side of my head, most of which is not visable, like my eustachian tube doesn't open and close and I can't move my right eye to the left. The good news is, despite some rare neuralgias and some minor memory loss due to a perforated carotid - I love my life!!! And the surgery was better than the alternative!
    You will be in the best hands at Sloan. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and Trudi all the time. Miss you & tons of love.
    -D Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome back MSK the best of the best, may GOD guied there hands and direct there minds and let his peace come down upon you as a great rain to wash from you any and all dout love always aunt mare PS hello trudy thanks for loving frankie and being his strenth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear you went with Gutin at Sloan. He's one of the best of the best. Because your tumor is so rare, and it doesn't get any more "insular" than the pineal region, there's probably only like a dozen of the 4000 or so neuros in the US who can legitimately claim any expertise in resecting these. Gutin is definitely one of them. If it had been up to me, I would have had him a my wife's neuro. But we're in northern VA, Hopkins is only an hour away, they take our lame HMO insurance, and my wife wanted to stay close to home. Plus, Weingart is also one of the experts at these, so it worked out.

    There are only a half-a-dozen places that are in MSKCC's league when it comes to this stuff. You should be in GREAT hands.

    As for the insurance issue, I hear you. My wife's imaging, visits, surgery, hospital stay, and post-op therapy would have cost over $90,000 without insurance. Make sure everything that needs to be pre-authorized is authorized. If you're under an HMO, check into gap exception coverage, and if you have to have a pre-surgical exam with your PCP, check that box ASAP. Stay in touch with MSKCC to make sure everything is on track for the date.

    Go out and do some fun stuff prior to 9/9. It'll be a long day (not for you), and you'll probably feel like hell when you come out of surgery. All normal. My wife's neck was sore immediately after. Don't be alarmed if both your coordination is off and your vision is off. It took my wife 3 weeks for her vision to readjust after the surgery, but as they say, the eyes REALLY don't tolerate being off, and have a remarkable capacity to readjust. Nearly a year later, and she still has some significant nerve issues on her right side (her tumor extended into the left side of her brain), but there wasn't really an alternative, as you know, and it's amazing how much of her life she has back.

    You can rest a little easier knowing that you've really stacked the deck in your favor. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW--getting a second opinion is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY in these cases. When my wife was diagnoses, her "attending" neuro at our local hospital never came by when she was in the hospital getting her imaging and tests done; he left it to 2 residents. Then when we saw him for the consultation a couple of days later, in addition to being an hour late, it was very clear after talking to him that he was a total deer in the headlights. I very much doubt he'd ever seen one of these cases. His recommendations were standard (3V/shunt, biopsy, then possible resection), but although he said he was confident he could do it, you could tell he was out of his league. He could probably pull off a craniopharingioma, but forget about an open resection from the back. At any rate, I would let my wife be operated on by him ever. We consulted with his department head too, and he was better, but after that experience, it was clear that you had to go to the big dogs and seek top shelf medical attention for this. After all, this actually *is* brain surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow, Frank. Hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frank, how are things going? I miss reading your posts - and I hope everything is going well for you and that you are recovering.

    ReplyDelete