Sunday, November 28, 2010

Radiation pre-tests

After speaking to another Doctor out in Tucson, who generously went over my case with another oncologist who handed me the same opinion I had been handed twice already, (though he was decidedly more optimistic than my other doctors had been), I decided to have the radiation. He left me with this: "You should feel good--you've done your due diligence." I laughed, because I didn't feel good at all. After we hung up, that phrase kept repeating, due diligence, due diligence. That was all I could do. It felt pathetic.

I spent the week depressed, and ultimately, resigned- I called and scheduled my appointment for radiation therapy. Preparations: a ct scan to make the mask, (I don't have the details of this, but I'll get them) and an MRI. This is happening Thursday morning. I do not know when the actual radiating begins.

I have decided to start taking anti depressants, because I feel I've been mired in something for some time. It's been ten days of that, and I'm feeling better already. I am writing a lot, and reading a lot, and composing some music. I feel engaged, still, and not totally lost in tumor world, in short. I feel more optimistic. I am trying to be realistic about my situation, about my health. But the focus--last week it was on the fear, the negatives--and I am still,now, very much afraid--yet I am beginning to feel much more positive. I can let go, for a while, of my worries about dying, or of further brain damage. It has been important for me to deal with these anxieties head on, accept them as they are, and not wish them away. I'm sure they will come back--they are more probable to return than the tumor is.

I am resting a bit easier with my "due diligence."

Side bit: I was just back in NY for thanksgiving. My youngest brother, James, had asked if he could come out and visit me, as we'd been talking about for some time, but having the plans consistently pushed off by the tumor.
"Well," I said. "I have to have radiation treatment. I might not be feeling too well for a while." I've been laughing at that phrase, "radiation treatment." Shock treatment. The imbalance of these words, stuck together,improbable and ghastly yet absurdly commonplace.
"Radiation?" he said. "What's that?"
Maybe I should not have said anything, but I always err on the side of being too honest, with James at least, because I know, too well, the pain of being lied to as a child. I don't want to lie to him, but I've been careful not to upset him either. I don't want to spoil his innocence with adult worries. He has too many of those for an eleven-year-old. I continue,"Well, they take a machine and shoot radiation at--"
"They shoot you?" he said, a little panicked. Bad word.
"No, no, they won't shoot me. Aim," I said. "They aim it at me--it doesn't matter. It's just to make sure it doesn't come back. Then I'll be fine. Then you can come visit."
He was excited and happy about this, as was I. And I was glad to get out of the conversation without lying and without frightening him--too much.

But to do so, I had to resort to the thing that has bothered me the most in this tumor business--the often repeated assurance of well-intentioned friends and family: "You'll be fine, I know it, everything will be fine." Sometimes this assurance is couched in religion, sometimes it is not.

I do not share this feeling. I do not believe in a conscious, conspiring god. I do believe that a central importance of my existence is self-awareness. Wishing away my actual situation--hardly secure or definite, a relentless doubt casting its shadow over whatever I look upon--with an hopeful but inaccurate and ultimately self-deceiving narrative--well, it doesn't do me any good. I understand good intentions, and the fact that everyone deals with things differently. My "differently" is focused on being honest and realistic with myself. Yes, the danger is that can spill over to some form of despair. I am watchful. When I hear these assurances, I feel quite alone.

I am glad to receive those warm wishes, still.

6 comments:

  1. Hugs Frank. I know what you mean about "it will be fine" my mother and I felt the same way when she had breast cancer. Wishing and hoping and believing things will be fine doesn't seem to acknowledge the anxiety and misery one is feeling right now(and maybe it's more than that...it's just hard to articulate). I never figured out what I'd hoped people would say, neither did my mom but knowing people care was good. I care and am sending warm thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you decided to take antidepressants. You may need a truckload to feel some of the despair lift. (dark humor). I am also a non-believer and go nuts over religious platitudes. However, I know that people in their own way are trying to be kind.
    I admire the compassionate way that you dealt with your younger brother. Your exchange with him showed your awareness of others - a major demonstration of compassion.
    I wish you the strength to ward off despair, or at least get through those moments or hours with the least amount of suffering possible. The meds help with that.
    Your honesty with yourself and others is refreshing. Hoping for the best outcome possible (which is different than "you'll be alright.")
    With love,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's to you ya ho here's to me ya ha here's to us ya hus and if you realy want to have a good laught hrer's to tuma's ya huma why don't you get into life, you know the moment the thrill of it all. jump run laught scream let go of it all get lost in the moment its all anyone has i wish you love, laughter,peace and the ability to use this time for your self. god blessed you choosen one love forever aunt mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like hearing about your life a lot a lot, thanks for sharing it, I guess this happened four years ago and it's hard to imagine how everyone's lives progress in so many ways, I guess you authors have been understanding it for some time, I feel so behind in that, I wish to hear more of your writing always always, but as I am anon. you really can't help me in that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could end more writing if you are interested. I'd just need to know where to send it.

      Delete
  5. Sure, you don't have to but that would be great... Send to readingthis@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete