Thursday, May 27, 2010

Anticipation

Tomorrow we go back to see the doctors--"The Brain Trust" is how I like to think of them--and get the biopsy results. Tonight, I cannot sleep.

I do not imagine tomorrow. I don't have to push this out of my mind. Instead, I have been awash in self-distraction. (I have always been good at self-distraction. This has spared me a lot of pain and caused me a lot more. There is no point in adding this up, because no one I know has a calculator for such things.)

Today's distractions? I stood in our mess of a kitchen and said to Trudi, "What can we do today to at least make us feel like we're getting somewhere?" And so we spent the day like we had been spending most our days before this tumor nonsense took over--on our hands and knees.

Trudi pulls out staples from the recently uncarpeted wood floors with some pliers and a chisel while I sweat and hammer the end of a crowbar under the thin strips of tack-board that are nailed to the floor all around the corner of the room. Clang, clang, clang, then push down on the crowbar and up pops a few inches of strip. Wedge it in again and clang, clang, clang, then push down and up come a few more inches. I move faster and get sweatier. "Are you alright?" Trudi keeps asking. I am both grateful for and annoyed at the tenacity of her concern. I wipe my forehead, over and over, careful not to touch the wound.

I work this way, rhythmically, thumping, popping, pulling along the edges of what we call "Room 2." We call it this because of its sequential location from the front of the house. Calling this "Room 2" was Trudi's idea--an idea I, at first, scoffed at. Now I recognize its concise genius. It's a family tradition: we had just finished a nine month life-transition-limbo phase, living with Trudi's parents out in Tucson, Az. That wonderfully bright and airy desert house had a "Room X", "Room Y" and a "Room Z". We have "Room 1", "Room 2", and "Room 3."

I found more distractions. This morning, a short and friendly salesman with an African name come to my door and so by this evening I had a surly installer without an African name also come to my door and then drill and wire until we had cable television with a HD-DVR box. Everything moves with such speed, MRIs, endoscopes, DVRs.

TV! I spent the evening watching Being John Malkovitch. The First 48. A documentary about Castro. I did not think about tomorrow.

But the hours rolled on, it was twelve, it was one, it was two. I went to bed, not because I was tired, but because I knew Trudi wanted to cuddle me for a while. I would like that as well.

In bed, once again, I didn't think about tomorrow. I thought about last week, last Saturday night in the hospital. I went over that night, narrating it to myself in the dark.

I would be lying if I said I have not imagined tomorrow at all. I have. Briefly, just in flashes, here and there. They catch me off guard. Sometimes in the shower. Sometimes when I'm hammering.

Here's what I see:

Me, Trudi and the Brain Trust sit at a long and very beautiful conference table. It is dark, but there is some late afternoon sunlight coming in through the windows. The shades are a very offical but mellow seeming dark-blue, and this is the same hue of the darkness. There are several chairs, seating a handful of doctors. I can barely see their faces. They have file folders they finger slowly in front of them. I hear words and phrases about the tumor, most divorced from faces and meaning. I catch something about its "marginality"--how much it sticks to the surrounding brain matter. This is important; it will determine my functioning and suffering. I hear the word "surgery." In my fantasy, this tumor is benign, and this makes me cringe.

As my fantasies tend to go, this is remarkably vague. There's no plot, dialogue. It's all setting. It is a still, not a scene.

Benign: I have imagined the most likely scenario. It's quite practical of me--always go with the better odds. But perhaps I am imagining it because it is the one I am more afraid of. I don't want the fast but risky and painful option. I'll take cancer and its slower, less dramatic chemo and radiation buffet treatments. I can deal with six months of the slow rather than the opening up of the skull. I think.

4 comments:

  1. (this is my second comment)
    I'm reading this the day after your results are in. My favorite thing to do while waiting was,is to fade into another place in time. For the most part it worked. Sometimes I really thought I was in that place and I must say it was really nice. When reality set in I found myself talking to God. When, Where, and Why. Oh I'm not a reporter!!! right, just asking some simply questions. (I thought). Well I do know now, that some of my unanswered prayers were for good reasons. I'm here doing what i'm supposed to be doing. Living and giving of myself to others in need. Sometimes I got upset no angry with God, but in the long run I have been and still am very blessed. Maybe you think you know me, but you don't. Just like a parent really doesn't know a child that they raised. No one really knows anyone. We think we know what our loved ones, but we don't. We can quess at what they are thinking and what they would or will do, but know one, not even our closet loves know anyone of us for sure.
    If we look at our live's and where we are today, maybe we could blame it on something or someone, even God, but get real; we have now and always will have free will. If illness was in our control then we wouldn't have any of it. Oh wait a minute, maybe you remember me by my last comment. (Many are called but few are chosen) anyway what will be will be. I have always after the news went ahead and gotten other opinions (even though I was sticking with the doctor that I felt comfortable with) sometimes I got 3 or 4 opinions you know just to be on the safe side. Maybe there wrong, maybe they are missing something or maybe there is a better way. It always made me feel a little better not much better but a little. Yes I was told you don't need other opinions, but it is my body not there's. Well I'm sorry if I bored you. I hope you take good care of God's gift to the world pittysing (you). Good luck no its not luck that keeps us going it's God even though some may not believe in him, without his gifts to doctors (they are gifted people,chosen ones, like you) we may not have gotten this far in our life's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you once told me, you learned how to have emotions from Pasty Klein. What a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are the names god has gradis people who fear him lucky coincindet good timing nice move good choice great move smart thinking and many more but it is my opinion that good is god and god is good so if your living a good life your following in gods foot steps what ever name you put to it as long as we don't practise the other simple isen't the rest is life on lifes tearms back to you frankie good bless or god bless your loved and cared for

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...emotions learned from Patsy "Cline". I can dig that...I can 'feel' when she sings. But I feel even more when Willie Nelson writes the words. It's great to be a writer of words that actually touch people. Frankie, you have that gift....

    ReplyDelete