Friday, May 14, 2010

first night

I'm siting up in the Intensive Care Unit, awkwardly clacking away at my laptop. It's the first time I've been "up" since the surgery. I am not a pretty picture: I have an iv plugged into the back of each of my hands. There's a white wire with a red light taped around my pointer finger. I have name tags on each wrist, and a red blood id tag. I can barely find the keyboard past the mass of wires that surround my wrists. Am I more android or Frankenstein? A long incision runs across my forehead, and a thin tube leads out of my head and fills a plastic sac with violet fluid that looks uncomfortably like kool-aid. That's my CSF, and there's so much drained out--it's hard to imagine that football-sized sac of fluid fitting into my skull.

My eyes work against me; they are tired and want the dark. Though keeping myself up is hard, I want to get back to writing as soon as possible.

I cannot organize my thoughts well, but there are some moments from the last days that stick with me.

One am, Friday, May 14th:
I begin to lose my ability to deal with the suffering. The medication is wearing off. My head throbs and spasms from inside. It seems there are fault lines along my skull, where i can feel pressure erupting from inside. Trudi sits next to me in the bed, and feeds me tiny ice shards from a spoon. The coolness on my lips masks the pain until the ice melts. I try not to swallow because even a drop wracks me with nausea. When we pause for a moment, I am a desert again.

I have a catheter in me and I'm dying to piss, but cannot. My hands and legs begin to go numb. It's what happens to me when I have panic attacks. I try to relax by closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, but with my eyes closed the pins and needle sensation only feels more overwhelming. I think, I can't, I can't take this anymore, but I know that's a bad path. I have to, I say out loud. I can take it. Yes, you can, Trudi echos, and I'm a little embarrassed.

Trudi looks for anyway to make me feel better. Can I rub your legs? she says. More ice? "Nothing," I say, "no." I look up at the wall, where there's a little blue booklet in a plastic holder that says, "Welcome."

"I don't want this to be real," I say. I choke down tears. "This can't really be happening." Trudi strokes my back. "Ok, baby," she coos. "It's okay."

I was not prepared for this amount of pain. Throughout this whole week--I had not bothered to ask, "why me?" The answer was simple. There is no "why." "Why" is because life isn't perfect, and bodies don't always work right. Because I didn't feel sorry for myself right away, I thought dealing with this was going to be easier than I expected.

(to be cont.)

7 comments:

  1. I am guessing you are the only ICU patient working on a computer. It was wonderful to speak with you and Trudi last night. It was a gift to know that despite this appalling experience you remain your best selves.

    Pain is horrible, takes you away from everything else, scares you, blocks out all other sensation. And it seems like love in that no one can prepare you for it. One can only hope that, like love, the aftermath of pain makes one more deeply compassionate and humble. Perhaps compassion and humility are elements of strength, and that is partly why enduring pain is thought to strengthen one.

    I am never one to ask "why me" either. It seems like an absurd question in a world where suffering abounds. Still, one's own suffering is most real, and there is no reason to deny it. It's good to have perspective, but even perspective doesn't reduce pain. You weren't prepared for how miserable you feel; you couldn't have been. You have given comfort, pleasure and joy; now is the time to absorb those things from all of us, as much as you can, knowing that we will need them from you again sometime.

    It's so hard not to sound like a bad song when one says these things. who said, beware the power of bad music? p

    ReplyDelete
  2. im sure you have more important things to do right now, like staying focused on not throwing up, not succumbing to the pain, but i just wanted to share a quote with you that's helped me over the years:

    The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering.
    - Ben Okri
    i hope it helps get you through the moment, the hour, the day a little bit easier. I think it rings especially true in your case, and I am so profoundly moved by the fact that you are writing from your ICU bed.

    i am thinking of you, wishing i could be there and sending you all the love and light i can!
    az

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect how hard your ordeal is Frank. It’s funny, that you can be in a place where getting through the day earns you respect, but it’s true. Keep it up D’Amato.

    kj

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no preparation for the first time you feel pain like that... the first pain to make you forget who you are, where you are, what you are. The sheer surprise that your body has the capacity to experience it. It seems like there should be some kind of overflow valve to shunt away the excess until you are strong enough. This is the pain against which all future ones will be measured and which will likely not compare in intensity and certainly not in memorability.

    All I can wish for you is strength, focus and faith. It will subside, it will even if it is impossible to clearly grasp the possibility of a future without omnipresent pain. It does exist and you will get there. Your loved ones would share it with you if we could, but there is nothing so individual as pain.

    Ismet and I are thinking of you and sending you good thoughts always.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always so surprised to find how pleasurable the absence of pain is. Thinking of you always Frank and Trudi.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing is so honest... genuine & tragic & phenomenal. It's like I can't wait to read more -- but then I remember this is real and happening to you right now and I feel so guilty! My heart goes out to you & to Trudi. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but glad to know you have someone by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..waiting for the next page Your Awesomeness...

    ReplyDelete