Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Saturday Night

Saturday night at the hospital, just past midnight. Back in my younger, druggier days, it was a time of night I was very fond of, the excitable and delicate hours between twelve and three. Early: you still had a rational grasp on your debauchery. Late: the exhausted and disappointing end of the day compelled you to find a place dark enough in deed and decor to mask your sickness. Lately, however, I find Trudi and I endure our worst moments in these hours.
"Where do you want me to sleep?" Trudi asks. We are sitting up in a hospital bed. There is an open recliner next to us.
"I don't know, honey." I say. The recliner looks horrendous. It's thin and has wooden arms to hold while the body slides forward.
I'm dying for a little space. I want to write, and I don't want to feel like Trudi's reading over my shoulder. Mostly, she never does, but when she's so close, it still feels that way. Regardless of that, there's the body heat, which I have no taste for right now. There isn't enough air in here as it is. My limbs get tight in any position I'm in for more than a few seconds, so I have to keep shifting, then she must keep shifting, and this is more shifting than I can deal with right now.
But I don't want her to feel like I'm pushing her away. I think about how this must all be for her. Trudi, unlike me, is naturally inclined to worry. (She blames me, partially, for this. It is her opinion that someone must worry, and since I don't, it's always left up to her. I am not naive; there is some truth to this view. Still, she's had plenty of practice worrying before I came along.) These days have provided endless matters, large and small, to fret over. Doctors, families, brain surgeries. This is the third time today I've stopped in the middle of this chaos and tried to track everything Trudi must be going through because of my tumor, but I cannot. I get two seconds into the thought line, and then something else happens, a test here, my parents there.
"Where do you want to sleep?" I say.
Trudi looks at the recliner, then back to me. She starts to cry.
"Trudi," I say, placing my hands on her shoulder. "Listen--listen. You can't let this change the whole tenets of our relationship. I'm not dying. You can still want what you want."
It's been this kind of evening.
"Do you want to be alone?" she says.
"Do I? No, I don't know . . . Do you?" I think, maybe for a little while. Just to have some space.
I feel this is an em-pass that will be difficult to navigate. I look at the recliner sheepishly. I feel bad I cannot just tell her to sleep there. This situation has all been about me. The more I leave things up to her, forcing her to decide when to be generous or when to take what she needs, the more pressure she'll be under. But being strong-willed requires strength, which, since the surgery, has been drained out of me as steadily as the Kool-aid colored sac of cerebrospinal fluid hanging over my head.
"What do you need, Frank?" Trudi says.
I think about that word. Alone. I imagine being really alone in this room. If Trudi were not in my life. . . we've had some difficult moments in the last year; we have spoken about the possibility of ending things. How would we separate our lives? Our furniture? Our dogs? Those issues didn't resolve so much as settle and smooth over. Simpler times came; things did not stay so dire. It turned out to be us imagining worst case scenarios that didn't come to pass.
I can't go there now, I decide. Too much pressure. “Nothing,” I say, calling on some place inside me that is still untouched by the whirlwind panic of these last days. “Everything's fine.” The matter-of-factness I manage surprises me.
She sighs. "It's alright," she says and moves over to the recliner. I stare at my computer as she tries to get comfortable. Finally she settles in, finishes by setting a white hospital blanket over her head. I stare at her like that for a moment, and the ridiculousness of this sight almost makes me laugh—but I stay quiet.
We sit like this with the lights on, me trying to write through a Percocet high that is coming on strong and making me feel sweaty and fast; her trying to fight back tears so as not to disturb me. It's not the prettiest snapshot of our relationship. Every now and again I hear her sob. I pause, consider, then ask her if she is alright. I'm not sure how much we just need some space. Or maybe I'm being cold. It seems every moment is fraught with this question. How can I tell the difference at one thirty in the morning in a hospital room?
My eyes roll, and close a bit as I stare at the same sentence on the screen for some time. How long have I been sitting like this? Did I fall asleep sitting up?
"Baby?" I say. "Baby, you up?"
Trudi grunts under the blanket.
"Come to bed," I say, closing my computer, making room for her in the bed.
Trudi pulls the blanket over her head. She is worn down. I worry she is shivering, but she is holding quite still.

6 comments:

  1. You're missing an important part of this story, which is that this whole interaction started when I found you weaving around the ward, talking at three times your normal rate, sweating like crazy, and high as a kite. And the night several days previous when we decided to relax and have fun, and brought you home with a terrifying headache and wondered if we should take you to the ER. And the period before this when I let you convince me that you were fine. I love you and it's impossibly challenging to know how to care for another grownup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, my heart goes out to you both. You have been through so much individually and together. I wish I knew even one comforting idea to offer. Actually, i do have one thought that might be worth sharing, and is surely apt for many circumstances. We can't always be gentle, and we can't always do right. Still, I think we can make our lives happier by being forgiving of ourselves and each other. P

    Do you like having this conversation in the public domain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gut-wrenching life experiences bring a third "presence" into a couple's relationship. Recalling a couple of miscarriages before my girls were born; me grief-struck and John trying to comfort both of us. The grief lay between us just like a third person who changed the way we related to each other.

    It's just hard sometimes. I know how to care for children for whom I am ultimately responsible. Caring for an adult is supremely difficult because the boundaries are different -- self-responsibility complicated by another's love and fear for the loved one's safety and comfort.

    You both have given me much to think about. You are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love bears all love supasses all love is always kind always giving asking nothing, forgiveness comes frome pure love absolute without question give and give some more loveforever aunt mariann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writers' block. I think I have it. I know what I want to tell you both and yet, how d I say it? How do I say, I can deal with being the sick one? I can deal with my death being inches away. I can grab on to that different reality. I've done it. The doctor said the odds were not in my favor so I spent some time pondering my impending death. It's a selfish place, but the reality is, I am going there alone. My mind feels sorrow for my loved ones; sorry to leave you dears. It’s not my choice, but I am accepting this fate and going it – alone.
    Fred too has faced death and felt that same 'going it alone' reality.
    It hurts me to ponder the reality of life without him - something I do not want to face – ever. People say I am wrong; they’ll tell me I’ll get by and that time heals. But, in those horrendous moments of 'pretending' to be strong, I want to cry. “I” yearn for his comfort, him holding me and saying it's all right - when plainly it isn't. That’s the most difficult time of life – for me. That hurts worse than facing my own death.
    Sigh, these are (more than) tough times for both of you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank, thanks for letting me (et al) in on the journey. I think you are
    expressing a beautiful balance between protecting yourself and protecting
    those around you. There is nothing I admire as much, at tough times like
    this, than protecting those you care about, as you appear to be doing. I
    feel very grateful to you. I expect that you will get news soon. Love and
    very best wishes to you and to Trudi from me and Maria. I will be watching
    the blog.
    --JOSH

    ReplyDelete