Saturday, May 15, 2010

A time line to date, II

April 17th: I go to see a neurologist, who gives me an EEG and a clean bill of health.

Apr 26th: I go to see a Primary car doc, just to get a check up. He dismisses the EEG, orders an MRI.

Saturday, May 1st: I get my MRI. It makes funny noises that I mostly enjoy.

Monday, May 3rd: Results come back. I am told I have a growth, and will likely need surgery. Referred to Neurosurgeon, Dr. Wayne Villanueva at the Neurological institute of Kentucky.

Tuesday, May 4th, 8:30 am: Go to see Villanueva. He is careful and precise. Trudi and I like him very much. He recommends endoscopic surgery as a first step to deal with the hydrocephalus and to get a biopsy. He refers us to another surgeon at the institute who specializes in endoscopy.

Same day, 1:30 pm: We go to downtown Louisville to meet Dr. Todd Vitaz. He is brief and under some time constraint. He schedules us for surgery the following morning.

4:30: We decide this is too fast and postpone the surgery.

May 5-12th: Both my parents come in, with my Aunt Marianne. We spend the week eating, relaxing, and adjusting to the fact that I have a brain tumor.

May 13th, 2010: Endoscopic surgery at Norton Hospital to get biopsy and drain CSF. Slam dunk.

Waiting for biopsy.

4 comments:

  1. Quite a journey. I am so glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May 13: We arrive at hospital at 5:30am. Tests and things for 4 hours. The first incision is made at about noon. The surgeon comes out at 2:30 to tell me that things are done (the speed of all this terrified me, and I thought that was much too fast to have gone well.) We start seeing Frank in post-op around 5, and he's up in neuro-ICU by around 7. That night, he's in as much pain as I think he's ever been in, and scared but everyone else is happy with how things are going. By 24 hours later, he's walking around, and by 36 hours later, he's walking up stairs (this is right after I watched them remove five inches of tube from the inside of his brain, and another five inches of a different tube from his penis.) And he's walking UP STAIRS. It's unbelievable. Frank's my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are feeling better and moving around. Your blog has been scary, inspiring, thoughtful and generous. Thank you for sharing this episode in your life. I hope that Trudi is doing better today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are feeling better. Trudi & Frank you have been pillars of strength. Frank I can't wait to read whatever you write! I am so thankful for modern medicine and all the supporting research. I am also amazed how quickly you are up and down stairs and having things pulled out of everywhere. Will continue tracking you and you move through this incredible journey.
    Namaste, Kate
    How are the pups doing?

    ReplyDelete